Friday 14 June 2013

Paper pleats

Paper Pleats; the initial experiments....
 
Thinking about how I can create texture within a fabric surface I am starting with pleating. This technique is used by tailors to help create shapes and movement within garments and so I think it is a good starting point. I have initially pleated paper just to get a quick idea of different types of pleats and how they can be created. Here are the pictures below:
 
 All experiments
 
 
Accordion pleats
 
Box pleats
 
 
Knife Pleats                                        Scrunching
 
I love this last image, it really shows off the 3D qualities of all the samples. Each one is quite different, creating very different outcomes. I think my next move will have to be to try some of these in fabric so see if they are still as scultural using a softer material.

No comments:

Post a Comment