Wednesday 5 June 2013

My love of Pleats!!!

Pleats, beautiful pleats. Im not sure what it is that originally made me fall in love with pleating but I am now absolutely obsessed. In my first year at Uni during my first ever weaving project my tutor introduced me to woven pleats and I was totally amazed that it was actually possible to weave such a sculptoral 3d effect in a piece of fabric, which to me opened up a whole new relm to fabric and opened the door not only to pleating but to the word of weaving in 3D.

This is one of my hand woven pleated lengths which I produced whilst at Uni:
 
and my Jacquard woven scarf length:



Since graduating though I have found that I have been so busy trying to find my way, find my own way of working and produce work that people will want to buy that I have completely lost this exciting element to my work. I do love my hand dyed fabrics but I have always been of the opinion that fabrics are so much more exciting in 3D so guess what....its back...the heavily textured, 3D and scultural form that can be produced by pleating! I can't wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment